Eastlea’s Attendance Expectations
For our students to gain the best outcomes, attending school is vital. We expect students to attend school on time, every day the school is open unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable.
Eastlea’s Attendance Expectations are outlined below and summarises what to do when your child is absent from school:
- Parents/Carers need to contact the school each and every day their child(ren) is absent from school (as early as possible).
- Medical evidence is a standard request for all absences of 5 or more days and/or illnesses reported around the time of school holidays.
- Leave of absence during term time is not permitted, and the Headteacher can only give consideration to applications that are not only unavoidable but also meet “Exceptional Circumstance’ criteria. Evidence to support your request will be required.
- Persistent Lateness is unacceptable and may lead to referral to the Local Authority who may issue a fine.
- Where medical/dental appointments cannot be arranged outside of school hours, students are expected to attend school either before or after the appointment time. Whole days will not be authorised where this is unnecessary and appointment cards/letters or screen shots of planned appointments are required.
- Minor illnesses/complaints (i.e. headaches, colds, tummy pains, etc) are not acceptable reasons for absences and we ask that students come into school following the appropriate medications/remedies and can be monitored by our school nurse if required.
Reporting your child’s absence
If your child is absent you must:
- contact the school’s attendance office as early as possible on the first day of absence. either by phone or in person and make contact on every subsequent day of absence.
- send a note with your child explaining the reason for their absence.
If you or your child have symptoms of Coronavirus
Students must not come into school if they have symptoms of Coronavirus or if a member of their household has symptoms.
- Anyone who displays symptoms of Coronavirus can and should get a test. Tests can be booked online through the NHS testing and tracing website
- You will be expected to provide details of anyone you have been in close contact with if you were to test positive for Coronavirus or if asked by NHS Test and Trace.
- Parents are asked to inform the school immediately of the results of the test.
Applications for leave of absence in term time
This school’s policy is not to authorise holidays during term time. Any application for leave during term time must be made in writing to the Head of School. There is no automatic right to term time leave of absence, and your request is likely to be declined except in the most exceptional of circumstances. Each application will be considered on its own merit, and the attendance record of the child or children will be taken into account when making the decision.