Applying for Free School Meals
Free School Meals Information for Parents
Your child will be eligible for Free School Meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
If you believe you fit this criteria please apply online by clicking here.
The application can take a week to be processed. You will receive a letter/email from Newham Council confirming whether or not your child is entitled to free school meals. Please provide the school’s receptionist with a copy of the letter so that we can update our records.
Until we either receive notification from yourself or the Newham regarding your child being on Free School Meals, you will need to cover the cost of your child’s meal.